Give thanks by giving back this holiday season.
Did you know? Volunteering and giving back to your community can be a great way to feel connected to those around you. When it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle, volunteering has been linked to numerous health benefits that can positively affect both mental and physical health.
What are some of the practical benefits of community service?
The benefits of volunteer work include things like:
- Gaining experience for your college or professional resume
- Increased real-world skills like team-building, leadership, and time management
- Networking and meeting new people who are interested in the same causes you are
- Developing connections that could lead to a job opportunity later
Of course, intrinsic benefits are also a part of giving back and helping others. By volunteering within your school or community, you will be:
- Helping those less fortunate
- Making a difference in your life and someone else's
- Developing self-confidence
- Learning how to fill idle time with something meaningful
A Helping Hand for the Holidays
What are some ways that you can get involved and give back to your community by volunteering over the holidays? First, figure out what your interests are, and which skills you would like to cultivate. Then, find ways to give back, such as:
- Give your time to a local soup kitchen or homeless shelter by volunteering to help serve meals.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter, and gain valuable work experience
- Sign up to run concessions at school events or community events, like theater, plays, and Little League
- Visit patients in the local hospital and sing carols, read books to children, and bring some holiday cheer to those who are sick
- Spend time at local nursing homes with senior citizens. You'll feel wonderful giving back.
- Donate some of your unused toys, books, or holiday money to groups who arrange presents for underprivileged children.
- Make community service a family activity.
Volunteering can help you build a better future for yourself and those around you. Join us at LiveFree! today and take a step in the right direction for your family and your community!